Now when I live in Greece and I’ve become a vegetarian, spinach pie is one of the things I have fallen in love with. There are several different variants, with and without feta cheese. Here, though, you get a recipe on spinach pie with feta cheese
SPINACH PIE/SPANAKOPITA (for about 6 persons)
what you need:
– 1 kg spinach
– 350g feta, crumbled
– 1 bunch spring onions, chopped (optional!)
– 2 beaten eggs
– 1 pack filo pastry
– melted butter
How to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. Cook the spinach in a closed pan over a low heat in the water that clings to it after it has been washed and drained.
When wilted, remove from the heat, drain, cool, then squeeze out all the water between your palms and chop the spinach.
3. In a bowl, combine the spinach, feta, beaten eggs (and spring onion). Season with pepper.
4. Grease a 30cm round baking dish and line with half the filo, brushing each sheet with butter.
5. Add the filling, then top with filo, brushing every sheet with butter. Sprinkle watrer on top to stop the filo burning.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden.
Serve hot or cold. (I prefer hot)